The Spice Bazaar,
Carsisi', or Egyptian Bazaar)
is one of the oldest bazaars in the city.
Located in Eminonu, it is the second largest
covered shopping complex after the
There are several documents
suggesting the name of the
bazaar was first "New Bazaar".
However, due to the fact that
many spices were imported via
Egypt in the
Ottoman period, the name
"Misir Carsisi" was favoured by
the public. The word misir
has a double meaning in Turkish:
"Egypt" and "maize". This is why
sometimes the name is wrongly
translated as "Corn Bazaar". The
bazaar was (and still is) the
center for spice trade in
building itself is part of the
külliye of Yeni Mosque,
and rents from the shops within
was intended to help pay for the
upkeep of the mosque. The
structure was designed by the
chief court architect Koca Kasim
Aga, but completed by architect
Mustafa in 1660.
The Spice Bazaar is an
“L”-shaped building, consisting
of 88 vaulted rooms, almost all
of which are now divided into an
upper and lower story.
Monumental gateways are at the
ends of both halls, with
chambers above each entranceway.
The main entrance is in the
southwest corner, facing the
Section of Ephesus,
Istanbul Castles, Istanbul Bazaars