This museum is
located in the anchor casting workshop at the
docks on the Golden Horn (Halic), an area that
symbolized industrialization in the
Empire of the 19th century. The anchor casting
workshop was built in the era of Ahmet II
(1703-1730) and the building`s foundations go
back to a 12th century
It was restored under Selim III and used by the
Finance Ministry until 1951. After a fire in
1984, the building stood in ruins.
The Rahmi M. Koc
Museum was first founded in the historical
Lengerhane (Anchor Casting Building) next to the
Golden Horn in the Haskoy Piri Pasha District.
Discovered by Dr.
Bulent Bulgurlu during the search for an
appropriate location for the Museum, Lengerhane
building was then purchased by the Rahmi M. Koc
Museum and Cultural Foundation. Following the
rapid and effective restoration work of Garanti
Koza Construction and addition of the
underground Annex Exhibition building, connected
by a glazed ramp, the 2,100 m2 Rahmi M. Koc
Museum opened on December 13, 1994.
The first museum
rapidly outgrew itself, and in November 1996 the
11,086 m2 Haskoy Dockyard, which was then
nothing but a ruin on the shore of the Golden
Horn opposite the Museum, was purchased.
Fourteen ruins on the site were faithfully
restored to their original condition, as well as
the historic ship cradle and winch.
To complete the
current picture, the 443 m2 plot beside the
Lengerhane and the 6,670 m2 plot adjacent to the
dockyard were purchased in February 2001, after
a tender by the Turkish Maritime Authorities,
for use as an outdoor exhibition area and
The Museum, which
following restoration of the two historical
buildings has 11,250 m2 of covered space on a
site of 20,250 m2 was opened to the public on
July 10, 2001.
Section of Ephesus,
Istanbul Castles, Istanbul Bazaars