small theater known as
was built as a political
meeting place (bouleuterion) initially. A
wealthy family of Ephesus financed the building.
There were seats for 1400 people in the form of
23 tiered rows in a semi-circular shape.
There was a two
storey stage facing the seats with a podium in
the front and a semi-circular space for the
orchestra. The whole structure is believed to be
covered with a roof.
life time the building was used more often for
concerts and art events. That is why it was
called Odeion instead of Bouleuterion.
There was a
gallery between the stage and the entrance. Most
of this gallery has been restored recently.
There are five
entrances to the podium. The one on the middle
is higher and larger than the others.
There is a
marble road in front of the Odeion which
continues along the State Agora on the mountain
Section of Ephesus,
Istanbul Castles, Istanbul Bazaars